sciebo is a cloud service provided by the universities in the North Rhine-Westphalia region. Employees and students of the RWTH Aachen University as well as employees of the university clinical center with the status "UKA employee" and users with the status "Emeriti" are entitled to use sciebo.
The participating universities operate sciebo on their own. The data is processed at three different universities in North Rhine-Westphalia namely in Münster, where the project is managed, as well as in Bonn and Duisburg-Essen. Since sciebo is operated in NRW the German Data Privacy Act (Bundesdatenschutzgesetz), one of the strictest worldwide, applies.
sciebo enables you to automatically synchronize data on different devices, such as PC and smartphone. It also allows different users to work on the same document. Every participant has 30 GB of free storage and research projects can receive more space if needed.
sciebo (pron.: Skie-Boh) is inspired from the Latin verb “scire”, which means “to know”. The name itself can also be an abbreviation for “science box”, which refers to the campus cloud service.
Please pay attention to the Advice on Using the Cloud Storage Services.
RWTH Aachen University members can register online to use the service. The login is provided by Shibboleth. After registration the user will receive a user name (format: XXXXXX@rwth-aachen.de) for sciebo which will be shown on the registration page. On the same site users can set and change their passwords for sciebo.
Information and instructions on how to use the service can be found at: http://www.sciebo.de/
Duration and termination of sciebo
Participation in sciebo is bound to the membership of your respective institution. As soon as the duration of your sciebo account has to be renewed, you will receive a notification email. You can renew your account duration through the official sciebo site with the "Login" button, as long as your Shibboleth login is active.
You can use sciebo for six months after you lose the membership of your institution(example: exmatriculation).
The overview of deadlines is as follows:
- expiration date = registration date + 6 months
- suspension date = expiration date + 6 months = registration date + 12 months
- deletion date = suspension date + 3 months = registration date + 15 months
Project boxes provide an extensive storage quota of 500 GB up to 2 TB. The quota can be requested at the IT-ServiceDesk by IT-purchasers of institutes but also student associations.
To set up project boxes, the following information is required:
- the sciebo-ID of the future project box owner
- a project name which is between 4 and 64 characters long (alphanumberic,- and_, the latter not to be placed in first or last position, must not contain umlauts, spaces or ß).
Consequently, the naming scheme email@example.com results.
- the institute index (IKZ)/institute of the owner
- Additionally, you have to select a quota option. Here, sciebo offers the choice between 30 GB, 500 GB, 1.000 GB and 2.000 GB quota.
- Finally, we need a short project description (maximum 150 words) to activate your project box.
- After creating the project box, the standard duration is 2 years. It can however be extended at any time by providing a corresponding reason.
Project boxes can subsequently be transfered to other Sciebo-ID's. If you want to transfer a project box to another Sciebo-ID, please feel free to contact the IT-ServiceDesk Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The creation and administration of guest accounts are provided exclusively for employees.
- Guest accounts are valid for 6 months and can be extended if required. Otherwise your account will be locked upon expiry and deleted after another 3 months.
- Guests do not have their own storage volume. They cannot create their own shares/ share files. Guests have to be invited by sciebo users in order to be able to work with them.
Inviting guests – here's how!
- Log on to the my-sciebo-Portal and select the menu item "Gäste einladen" (invite guests).
- To create a guest account, the first name, last name and e-mail address (serves as guest-ID) of the guest are required.
- Next, click "Einladung absenden" (send invitation) whereupon an e-mail is sent to both the guest and the inviting person (sponsor).
Guest accounts: Managing information, setting passwords and sharing
By clicking the menu item "Gäste verwalten" (manage guests) a list of all sponsored guest accounts is displayed. Here you have the choice between the functions "Info abrufen" (retrieve information), "Passwort setzen" (set password) and "Gast verlängern" (extend guest).
Detailed information and manuals on how to set password or guest accounts and how to share these with your guest can be found here. Please note the information on password length and using lower case letters in order to avoid faults and problems.
Document Editor (OnlyOffice)
Document Editor (OnlyOffice) is an additional feature of Sciebo. It represents an extention to the existing Cloud service and enables simultaneous editing of Office documents via a web interface.
Simultaneous editing of documents is only possible if a document is shared with users at the same institution. For example, it is possible to simultaneously edit documents shared with the users of the RWTH Aachen University. If the document is shared with users from another university or users of guest accounts, editing is not possble.
For further information, please visit the sciebo website at: https://www.sciebo.de/en/help/editor.html
The data is solely stored at the three universities Münster, Bonn and Duisburg-Essen and is therefore protected by the strict German Data Privacy Act (Datenschutzgesetz). The access is SSL encrypted.
For further information, please visit the sciebo website at: http://www.sciebo.de/