Who is allowed to use the RWTH Compute Cluster?
- Employees of RWTH Aachen University can use the RWTH Compute Cluster in the context of education and publicly funded research projects of their institutes without any fees. The amount of resources they can use is limited. For more resources an application for a computing project has to be submitted which then is reviewed.
- Students of RWTH Aachen University can use the the RWTH Compute Cluster in the context of their studies without any fees. The amount of resources they can use is limited. In the context of lectures the lecturer can apply for resources for participating students. In the context of theses the adviser can apply for more resources.
- Employees of Research Center Jülich can submit proposals for using the RWTH Compute Cluster for computing projects which then will be reviewed. A one-time registration in the RWTH Identity Management system is a prerequisite.
- Scientists of other German institutions in education and research can submit proposals for using the RWTH Compute Cluster for large computing projects which then will be reviewed. Currently the related process is in preparation.
Apart from using local compute resources scientists at RWTH can apply for resources on
- the BlueGene/Q of Research Center Jülich in the context of the JARA-HPC Partition.
- national HPC facilities organized in the Gauss Centre for Supercomputing or
- European facilities in the context of the Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe (PRACE).
Such an application is carefully reviewed taking technical and scientific aspects into account. The used software packages must be very well suited to the respective hardware architecture of the target machinery. Typically, the appropriate scalability of parallel applications has to be proved. In many cases the scientific soundness of such a proposal can be underpinned by approved scientific research grants.
Citizens of countries that are subject to the export control policy of the German Federal Government may need additional authorization from the German Federal Office for Econimic Affairs and Export Control (BAFA) before they are allowed to use the RWTH Compute Cluster.
How to apply for compute resources?
Please find more information at http://www.itc.rwth-aachen.de/hpc-project
How to get an account?
In order to obtain an account for the RWTH Compute Cluster, you should first log into the RWTH identity management system (IdM) and create an account for the service "Hochleistungsrechnen RWTH Aachen". If you still do not have an account for our IdM system, please refer to this page.
The IdM system allows you to create only one account for the RWTH Compute Cluster. In order to facilitate collaboration with other users we can on request create further accounts for you. These secondary accounts are configured in such a way that a login is not possible (which implies that they do not allow to submit batch jobs).
Please note that employees of other universities of NRW need to contact their respective local computing center in order to get access to our IdM system.
Other external scientists can get an account in the context of an approved computing project. Currently the related process is in preparation.
How to connect to the cluster
The RWTH Compute Cluster is accessible from the RWTH network as well as from other universities in North Rhine Westphalia. To connect to one of our dialog systems you need a client program which supports the Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP).
|Common RDP Clients:|
|Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection (windows-integrated)|
|Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for MAC|
|rdesktop (UNIX systems)|
Regardless of the used client, the common configuration parameters are: